Employment eligibility

  1. You must be a current substantive EL1 or EL 2 and have been employed by the Australian Public Service for at least three years, and;
  2. be employed by a participating agency
  • Attorney-General’s Department
  • Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
  • Australian Public Service Commission
  • Department of Defence
  • Department of Education
  • Department of Finance
  • Department of Home Affairs
  • Department of Human Services
  • Department of Infrastructure
  • Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
  • Department of the Treasury
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • IP Australia
  • National Archives of Australia
  • National Office of Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management
  • Office of National Intelligence
  • Safe Work Australia

If your department or portfolio agency is not listed above please contact your Learning and Development Team to ask if they will be supportive of a staff member applying.

Academic eligibility

Academic eligibility requirements may vary slightly depending on the ANU College that you choose to conduct your research. Please see the College requirements for more details.

ANU has seven academic Colleges:

  • ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
  • ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • ANU College of Business and Economics
  • ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
  • ANU College of Law
  • ANU College of Science
  • ANU College of Health and Medicine

Each of these Colleges contains a number Research Schools, Institutes, and Centres at which a PhD program may be undertaken. Please note that similar research topics may sit under a number of different Centres and across Colleges. For example, a mental health research proposal could be considered by the Department of Psychology and the National Institute for Mental Health Research.

International travel component

It is a requirement of the scholarship that an international travel component will be completed. Scholars will receive an additional travel stipend to cover the costs of their travel. This stipend will cover travel, accommodation and other associated expenses. Students are expected to use the stipend to complete international fieldwork, attend workshops, courses, conferences and other approved activities. All international travel will need to be approved by the Academic Supervisor, the Sir Roland Wilson Foundation Executive Director and consistent with the ANU Travel Policy.

Updated:  12 November 2019/ Responsible Officer:  Foundation Director/ Page Contact:  Sir Roland Wilson Foundation